Friday, March 2, 2012

London riots: Men guilty of robbing Malaysian student


Two men have been found guilty of robbing a Malaysian student as they pretended to help him during last summer's riots in London.
Ashraf Rossli, 20, had been in the UK for just a month when he was attacked on 8 August in Barking.
As he lay injured, John Kafunda, 22, of Ilford, and Reece Donovan, 24, of Romford, stole items from his bag.
Both were found guilty of robbery and violent disorder at Wood Green Crown Court.
The judge told the men they can both expect lengthy custodial sentences when they are sentenced on 13 March.
'Blood pouring'
Footage of the incident, which was recorded on a mobile phone and posted on YouTube, caused widespread anger.
John Kafunda, 22, of Ilford, and Reece Donovan, 24, of RomfordKafunda and Donovan will be sentenced on 13 March
A portable Sony PlayStation games console and 10 games were taken, valued at £500, Mr Rossli told the court.
"I knew they were stealing from me but I could do nothing," he said.
"I was sat on the pavement with blood pouring from my mouth.
"I remember being approached by a male who asked if I was OK. I remember being pulled to my feet, then I felt someone again tugging at my rucksack.
"I was not in a position to defend myself and was still suffering from the effects of being hit. Once they had taken what they wanted they left."
'Worldwide derision'
The accountancy student from Kuala Lumpur was on his way to a friend's house when his bicycle was stolen and he was punched, breaking his jaw in two places.
Ashraf RossliAshraf Rossli had arrived in the UK a month before the attack
Doctors had to fit two metal plates to repair the damage.
On 16 February Beau Isagba, 17, was found guilty of assaulting Mr Rossli and stealing his bike.
He will be sentenced on 9 March.
Ch Supt Gary Buttercase, of the Metropolitan Police, said: "I have met Mr Rossli and he is a man of humility and dignity and a tremendous credit to his country.
"I am particularly pleased that we have managed to get justice for the appalling attack he suffered and the subsequent theft that has attracted derision from across the world."
Widespread looting and violence spread from London across England over four nights last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write Your Name In Comment Box After Your Comment

&

Select Comment As "Anonymous"